November is Adopt A Senior Pet Month and the perfect time to introduce a new family member in to your home before the festive season gets into gear.
There is a lot that can be done around the home to make a senior dog more comfortable.
- A pet bed with memory foam is a good choice for an older canine. Be sure to place it in the family room so that your pet enjoys on-going social interaction with all family members. At the same time, ensure it’s away from open windows and draughty doors. In fact, you can never have too many pet beds around the home. Consider placing beds in other rooms too so that your dog can keep you company wherever you are.
- The chances are your dog will want to curl up on the couch with you and, possibly snuggle up in bed too. Investing in pet steps means that your older dog can access these snooze zones independently and not be compromised by rheumatic afflictions. There are lots of choices both in the number of steps needed and the decorative finish such as the wooden PupSTEP that has a beautiful walnut finish and is available in two sizes so that it can accommodate very big dogs too.
- A machine-washable furniture protector makes it really easy to take care of loose hair being deposited everywhere. The latest bolster styled cover comes in a stain-resistant micro-suede and offers excellent support for a senior dog. It’s available in different sizes and also has a waterproof membrane built in so any unfortunate “accidents” are easy to cleanup. And it’s easily removable when company comes over.
- Elderly pets may also appreciate raised food and water bowls so that they don’t have to bend low to the ground throughout the day.
- As they age, many dogs have difficulty standing up. Thus it’s a good idea to keep a CareLift harness handy to help them onto their feet especially after a long snooze.
- It’s also a good idea to keep a brush or grooming tool handy so when they are snoozing you can take advantage and help them with their grooming routine too. It’s a great way of spending quality time together.